Thursday, January 15, 2009

In the beginning

1. I am a Smithie. I kick ass. Us who went to Smith, we can't help it: we rock.

2. I don't speak with a 'slang.' I do, however, have an accent that's a particular mix of Malaysian, Singaporean, British and American.

3. I don't drink coffee. I never picked up the habit.

4. I no longer detest butternut squash soup. Or sweet potatoes. Or any orange colored vegetable.

5. GPS is awesome.

6. I love peanut butter. But since I started getting Trader Joe's, my love for it has lessened somewhat (without artificial sugars, it isn't that good).

7. The street busker I gave money to in Dublin sang me "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls.

8. I haven't watched "Titanic" or "Sex and the City" (the movie).

9. I always try to get a window seat in an airplane. I got stuck in the middle seat a couple of times -- boy, did that suck.

10. I didn't become an editor by any conscious choice or design.

11. I really like to laugh. I realize how stupid that sounds. But I love being amused; silly, unexpected things bring me immeasurable joy.

12. I was born on my parents' tenth wedding anniversary. I still feel bad that my mom had to be in labor with me when she could have been getting dolled up for a fancy dinner.

13. Old people should not be working. Especially if they have to dress up as vampires to do so. They should be sitting in some rocking chair, watching the sun set and drinking piƱa coladas, or similar.

14. Dogs should not be wandering the streets, disease-ridden and starving, either.

15. I used to be able to smell rain. I seem to have lost that ability.

16. When I die, I want my ashes to be scattered over the places I've been to and loved -- so far, New York, London, Oxford, Singapore and Bhutan.

17. I haven't been to Bhutan, but I want to go. I know I'll love it there.

18. I like being behind the camera much more than being in front of it.

19. The answer to eternal question #1: I don't think I'll move back to Asia. But who knows?

20. I've stepped on a bee. Twice. (two different bees, mind you). I was really little then. My dad had to give me piggyback rides because I had to go to school no matter what.

21. I am so proud of Hillary Rodham Clinton, even if she went to Wellesley.

22. Someday I'll learn to cook my favorite tofu dish. It's not yet time.

23. Strength is sexy; vulnerability is sexier.

24. Making lists is hard!

25. Being the youngest child isn't all that it's made out to be. But I couldn't imagine any other birth order position I'd rather be in.

26. My one girly thing is black dresses.

27. "You deserve to be adored" is my new motto.

28. I used to want to grow up to be an architect. I'd draw floor plans and give them to Jaime, who, incidentally, just got married. (Congratulations, J!)

29. I will probably never understand 'jelly' (ref: bootylicious). It'll break my heart, but I think I can live with that.

30. I once walked the entire perimeter of Central Park. In December. There was snow on the ground. I promptly woke up sick the very next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment